Juiz Internacional de Tiro Esportivo, completando agora em janeiro, 40 anos de atividade.

terça-feira, 12 de janeiro de 2016

Enjoy the sport, not just the success – João Costa


Over the past year João Costa has won 7 medals in international competitions, standing on the podium proudly representing Portugal.  It has been his best year to date and at the age of 51, he is really giving the younger shooting generation a run for their money! This year has been an outstanding year for João and 2016 is going to be even more exciting when he competes at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, after winning his Olympic Quota place back in May at Fort Benning.
Shooting over the past 25 years has given him a great deal of experience, memories and a good number of friends all over the world.
Enjoy-the-sport-not-just-the-success-ELEY-shooter-Joao-Costa
“I have a long career in shooting sports, and my journey began when I joined the Air Force. Once I took up pistol, I found myself to be very self-motivated and have driven myself to success by working on my goals and achieving them.
I don’t compete just for the medals, but for everything else including all of the friends I have over the world. Friends that remember my birthday, make me smile and laugh, and that I can spend time with when traveling help when I spend months / weeks in hotels away from my family.
I am away at competitions internationally a lot and I love to travel; exploring new cultures which are very different from my own in Portugal and enjoying different foods wherever I go. This in itself is a good motivator.
I find that I work well under pressure, and have discovered that quite often training doesn’t always go as well as during a competition! However, in saying that not all competitions go my way and I rely on having a short memory to rapidly forget them and move on. Motivation comes from focus and it is remembering the good moments that are really important.
Getting back to training after success for me is easy. After such a long time shooting, it is a way of life – similar to getting up in the morning and going to work. I have drive and motivation to get to the next competition and for me the medals are secondary – although it is great to win them!
My focus for 2016 (even though Rio is in sight), is that next competition whatever it may be. Going from one competition to another is important, and keeping focus on what’s next including the steps, motivation and preparation to get there.
It’s the journey that is important; make sure you enjoy the sport and not just the success!”

- João Costa

Nenhum comentário: